The Hemorrhoids Centers of Los Angeles (Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, and Huntington Beach) are spearheaded by Dr. Maz Ghodsian (a board member of the American Osteopathic College of Proctology), who specializes in the evaluation and painless surgical & non-surgical management of internal hemorrhoids and external anal hemorrhoids.
The majority of both men and women will suffer from hemorrhoids at some point in their lifetime. It is, however, significantly more common in people ages 45 and 65 years and in pregnant women. External hemorrhoids occur on the skin around the anus whereas internal hemorrhoids develop in the rectum. Internal hemorrhoids may protrude out through the anus, making it very dangerous.
Dr. Maz is incredibly professional and he made me feel completely comfortable with my issue down there. The office staff was great as well. They tried to be as accommodating as possible. I felt that I was a priority to the doctor and his staff and that they were sincerely concerned that I received the results I wanted (painless and fast). I’m extremely happy with my results and will definitely be seeing Dr. Maz again for future procedures. Best Proctologist in Beverly Hills by far! ~ YELP
It is not unusual to see a Proctologist and a GI working together for a collaborative approach to patient care. However, the difference in the specialty should be noted. Conditions like hemorrhoids are best treated by a surgeon who specializes in the surgical and non-surgical treatment of hemorrhoids (a Proctologist). By seeing a Proctologist for hemorrhoid treatment, a patient has the option of both surgical and non-surgical treatment choices available for optimum care, thereby not limiting their treatment options, while a Gastroenterologist (GI) may only offer non-surgical treatment.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
- Internal hemorrhoids: The most common symptom is the painless passage of bright red blood with the stools. If the hemorrhoids have prolapsed, it causes pain, discomfort, swelling, and itching around the anus.
- External hemorrhoids: External hemorrhoids may bulge and at times, blood clots may form in the swollen veins causing bleeding, painful swelling or a hard lump called a thrombosed external hemorrhoid.
Non-surgical Treatment of Hemorrhoids
- Prescription medications: Prescription medication may be offered by the Proctologist for your case if your case is not severe.
- Rubber band ligation – Also known as “hemorrhoid banding”, this quick outpatient procedure cuts the blood flow of the internal hemorrhoid by placing a rubber band around the base of the hemorrhoid. This shrinks the inflamed tissue inside the rectum, causing the hemorrhoid to eventually fall off on its own within a few days.
- Infrared Coagulation – Infrared Coagulation (IRC) offers relief from bleeding and discomfort with a safe, non-surgical, and painless method. IRC is painless because the hemorrhoids are above the area of sensation in the anal canal, and therefore well-tolerated amongst patients. A small probe emitting infrared energy leads to destroying the hemorrhoid and eventually causing scar tissue formation, which cuts off all blood supply to the hemorrhoid. The entire procedure only takes about 5-10 minutes and is one of the most elected procedures at The Hemorrhoids Centers of Los Angeles.
- Sclerotherapy: This involves injecting a chemical solution called a sclerosing solution into the blood vessel so that the hemorrhoid shrinks and scars, pulling the hemorrhoid up. This treatment is indicated for moderate to severe hemorrhoids. This is a fast and effective outpatient procedure performed by our Proctologists to treat small hemorrhoids. There is virtually no pain associated with this procedure. Since there is no surgical intervention, sclerotherapy requires no recovery time with minimal side effects. Because the internal hemorrhoids are above the area of sensation (dentate line), injection of the internal hemorrhoids with sclerotherapy is virtually painless.
Surgical Treatment of Hemorrhoids
- Surgical removal becomes necessary when the hemorrhoids become exceedingly large and do not respond to conservative treatment.
For more information pertaining to hemorrhoids, please visit our Doctor’s Most Frequently Asked Questions About Hemorrhoids page.
Please note: Dr. Maz Ghodsian is one of only two practicing Proctology Surgeons in California who has completed a residency in Proctology.
The Hemorrhoids Centers of Los Angeles (Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, and Huntington Beach) specialize in taking exceptional care of each hemorrhoids patient from the initial consultation to the post-recovery period. The honor and privilege of caring for patients come with the responsibility and dedication of the doctor’s staff to the utmost standard of excellence in patient care and final outcome. As a best in class, top rated Los Angeles Proctologist, Dr. Maz Ghodsian, and his team of specialists provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please use the eForm on the right or contact the location closest to you to get started on the road to recovery:
Hemorrhoids Center of Los Angeles
300 South Beverly Dr, Suite 106
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Hemorrhoids Center of Newport Beach
1501 Superior Ave, Suite 214b
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Hemorrhoids Removal Center of Bakersfield
100 Old River Rd
Bakersfield, CA 93311
Hemorrhoids Center of Huntington Beach
19582 Beach Blvd, Suite 270b
Huntington Beach, CA 92648